Friday, July 23, 2010

Oh, Grow Up.

Two posts in one day, I know, unheard of. But I just couldn't not share this.

I used to be into woodworking, when I lived in Waterloo and had a lot of space. There is a store in Cambridge called A&M Wood Specialty. For some reason, they thought it would be a good idea to register the domain ForLoversOfWood.com. It used to be the banner on the website. They've since replaced that with pictures of hardwoods. I had a moment once where I was looking at mahogany and came across an item whose detailed description was "African Crotch Swirl". Doesn't anyone proofread these things? Maybe I'm just less mature than your average woodworker.

I'm in kind of a pissy mood this morning because our eaves trough is blocked and it rained pretty hard last night and the water poured in a heavy stream right down onto the air conditioner in our bedroom window. We were awakened at 4AM by what sounded like WW III occurring in our bedroom window.

So I was looking for an extension ladder on a tool rental price list today when I came across another doozy: "Concrete Vibrator 1.5'' with 10ft shaft". Which makes sense, when you think about it: I can see wanting to stand at least 10ft away from anyone who was willing to use a concrete vibrator.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

what was "African Crotch Swirl" meant to be?

and, you do know what concrete vibrators are for, right?

-kwok

Rob (a.k.a. Dad) said...

Don't ever grow up, Colin - it's part of your (er, our) charm :-)

terriblenews said...

Jen, if you cut wood from near where a branch connects to the trunk (ie, a crotch) you can get neat swirl patterns. I assume the African part was unrelated to the crotch swirl, but an important detail nonetheless.