Tuesday, July 24, 2007

You Say Goodbye, And I Say Hello

I work in a small office on a single floor of a big building. It's very open concept. In any given day I will see almost everyone in the office several times. In the lunchroom, by the elevator, on my random wanderings, on their random wanderings. We're a friendly bunch.

One thing that has always baffled me is this awkward habit that people seem to have of needing to formally greet and say good bye every time they run into someone. It doesn't bother me. I just find it weird. I mean, I'm going to see you again in an hour, probably. Maybe I'm just weird. I say "good morning" in the morning and "good bye" in the evening if I'm on my way out or I see someone else on their way out and other than that, I sort of let the conversation flow naturally.

I think that people feel the need to punctuate their conversations or something, to make it clear that the conversation has stopped. I don't know about you, but I'm always reasonably sure when a conversation is over, without having to say something like "have a good day."

And it's very nice of you to wish me a good day, but it always feels so awkward and forced.

Like the ending to this blog entry.

Have a good day.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

And that is the joy of having only 2 official* co-workers: the conversation is non-stop 'till the end of the day. No need for forced pleasantries.

Uh…yeah, so.

Buh bye!

*not including Summer students.

Anonymous said...

You should make people uncomfortable when they say hello. Perhaps stare them down, or try to grab their package. It will stop them.